Monday, January 18, 2010

Game Thesis Part 3: Villains

Welcome to 20-Sided Tardis, where our opinions are bigger on the Inside. Dr. Cid here, and its time once again for Game Thesis!



Okay, so, we have the 8 Heroes that the players can choose from (although, I may add more, just for additional variety). Now, though, we’re gonna talk about what makes every Hero great. The Villains!

Originally in the game, we had 4 Villain characters, and the Villains operated just like their Heroic counterparts. For turning this into an adventure game, I’m thinking that going back to the drawing board is the best option.

Now, I’ll admit that my board gaming experience as of late has been completely influenced by the after D&D board game sessions we rock. So, if it sounds like I’m using other games as an inspiration…well, I am a bit. The trick’ll be doing it differently enough that it feels fresh.

So, I have four villains, one of whom is more of an Anti-Hero than full villain. So, he’s out. Maybe I’ll add him if I increase the hero count. But in the rewrite of Tiger Knight I’m adding Villain/Love Interest Dr. Dynamo, so that puts me back up at 4. I’ll make up some bad guys, maybe a loving homage to Jack Kirby creation and legendary Villain Darkseid…

So, after some time at a sketchbook, here’s the Villain Cast:

Quinlann Sebboh, Solnari Warlord
Gravitation, Architect of the Revolution
Igneous, Genetically Altered CEO
Dr. Dynamo, Legacy of a Mad Scientist
Hellhawk, Embodiment of the Dark Age
Omega, Omnicidal Maniac
Tyrannor, Alien Conqueror
G.O.D.L.E.S.S., Guild of Destruction, Larceny, Evil, Spite and Savagery.

I’m not necessarily happy with the last one, but I wanted an Injustice Gang/Legion of Doom kinda thing, and most of the good names are taken.

So, now that we have some villains, how do they work? Here’s how, at least here’s what I’m thinking.

The Villain cards are over-sized Dual Sided Cards. (I love using both sides of a card!) One Side is the Planning Phase, the other is the Active Phase.

During the Villain’s Planning Phase, the Villain’s not technically in Play. They’re moving pieces around the chessboard, setting up things, and generally being a vague nuisance to the Heroes. The Planning Stage indicates when the Villain goes into the Active Phase. There are going to be two ways to do this usually, the Heroes are being Awesome, or the Heroes are not being awesome.

During the Active Phase, the Villain finally enters play, and has the powers listed on this side of the card. Also listed will be the way to defeat said Villain. Most of the villains will most likely be defeated through combat, but I can foresee some of them having alternate win conditions.

Now, the big question is: Do we have a player control the villain, and all the minions and things, making it one player vs. the rest (which a few games do), have no one control the bad guys, so they need rules on how they move, who they attack, etc. on them (like Arkham Horror), or have it rotate every turn, so that each player takes turns being the bad guys? I wanna hear your input on this, so comment away!


Next on the Agenda: Civilians, Plot Points, and how they relate to each other!

No comments:

Post a Comment